Monday, February 9, 2009

Grammys

Okay, so first off I started writing a post last Thursday while I was waiting for a patient (or maybe it was Friday...). Anyway, the patient got here before I finished the post and I never got back to it. And I don't think I'm feeling the same way as I was then, so I'm probably not gonna get back to it. But I didn't want you to think I had been truly gone all week. Now, to the topic at hand...

Did you watch the Grammys last night? Thoughts, anyone? The Grammys are really the only award show I watch. I often haven't seen most, if any, of the movies up for Oscars (or Golden Globes) so I don't have much interest there. And with the Emmys, yeah I may watch some of the shows, but not all of them, and so again I have little interest. But since I like a wide variety of music, I find that I usually know most, if not all, of the songs that are nominated. Plus, it gives me a good excuse to dance around my living room and act a fool during the performances. Here are my thoughts...

  • MIA performed on the day she was due to give birth?! Insane!! now, I've never been pregnant, but from what I hear by the time you're 9 months along, you don't generally want to move. Let alone get onstage and perform in front of millions. I think this may make me like her a little more. Or maybe not... I can't really decide. Something about it also sorta horrifies me.
  • Blink-182 announced they are getting back together. This? Makes me so happy. Now I realize, Blink is pretty much a punk band and their songs usually have little to no actual substance. But I have loved them (mostly due to my absolute infatuation with the drummer Travis Barker... and if that doesn't prove I have an affinity for bad boys, I don't know what will) forever. Plus, when a song of theirs does then have a deeper meaning it makes it all the better. I literally screamed like a 13 year old girl when they made their announcement.
  • I was sad that Chris Brown and Rhianna weren't there because of the whole Chris alledgedly assaulting someone. I think I've mentioned my love of Chris here before. His songs always make me wanna dance. Anyway, I was however not too upset that Rhianna therefore wasn't able to perform. I like her music usually, but she was gonna sing "Disturbia" which I really don't like and think it's overplayed.
  • I was pleasantly surprised that Robert Plant and Alison Krauss won so many awards. While I will admit that I only know one song of their collaboration, I find the pairing to be really unique. Plus, they beat Coldplay, who I like alright, but generally don't get the hype surrounding them.
  • I liked all the unique pairings throughout the night. I always find it entertaining when two musicians who you'd never think would be together, perform together. I was trying to think of a favorite, but can't. Maybe cuz my brain is slightly not working this afternoon and can't think of many of them.

Okay, that's it. Anyone else have anything to share?

2 comments:

Maria said...

so i really wanted to see taylor swift and miley cyrus perform together (i'll wait while you roll your eyes) and i quickly jumped in the shower and missed it, but i didn't know i missed it so i stayed up way past my bedtime.

something about MIA performing makes me awed and horrified at the same time LOL

Katie said...

I am so disappointed to hear about the whole Chris Brown thing. I don't really know what it all entails, but I've heard it's not good. AND I'm really pissed off at Michael Phelps for being dumb enough to let someone get a shot of him hitting a bong. What a dumbass.