Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Update: Grammys and Introducing Dr. H

So I want to first say that when I wrote my Grammys post yesterday, I obviously did not have all the details about the Chris Brown/Rhianna situation. When I first heard about the domestic altercation, I assumed it was Rhianna, but no reports specifically said that, so I figured it must have been someone else and that Rhianna didn't go to the Grammys to be supportive of her boyfriend. Now that other details have come out saying that it was indeed Rhianna, I feel like some people may take what I wrote yesterday to be bitchy or whatever. I hope she's okay and I hope for the best with Chris Brown as well. And when I said "alleged assault" (or whatever I said... I know the word alleged, or allegedly was in there somewhere) it was just because of that whole innocent until proven guilty thing... not because I was trying to defend him or say that I didn't believe he did it. Okay... I feel better now...

So as many of you know, I work with my mom. Yesterday she was talking to my dad on the phone when S came to tell me she was taking a quick break and so I headed out with her. I come back from that to be told that my dad wants me to call him because he wants to talk about rappers. Umm... what? So now, for your reading pleasure, is the conversation that ensued with my dad (edited for length).

Dad: I watched the Grammys last night and had a questions about rappers.

Me: Okay, what's your question?

Dad: Well, Lil' Wayne won. And he was also performing. But all rap sounds the same to me, so why did he win? What makes him better than the rest of the rappers?

Me: Well, he had a good album. His beats and lyrics are good. Plus he was performing a tribute to New Orleans, which is where he's from.

Dad: Well I couldn't understand half of what he said. Do you think I'd understand more if I listened to more rap.

Me: You mean any rap?

Dad: Well yeah.

Me: Maybe. You should have seen the performance where 4 rappers performed together. Then you'd at least be able to compare them.

Dad: Yeah that would've been good. Which rappers performed together?

Me: Let's see... there was TI, Lil' Wayne, Jay-Z, and Kanye West.

Dad: Oh wow. That would have been great.

Me: Well your birthday's coming up. Do you want me to get you some rap CDs?

Dad: Umm... I don't think so.

Me: I have a Kanye West CD already. Do you wanna borrow it?

Dad: Oh that might be good. Or I could get some on my iPod from iTunes.

Me: Okay. Don't worry, Dad, I'll get you all hooked up with some rap.

Dad: Good. That way I can start rapping with the homies.

S and I later decided his rap name would be Dr. H. Oh, yeah. And that birthday he's got coming up? He'll be turning 60.

1 comment:

MJW said...

Loved the story between you and your dad :)