Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A little perspective

I was all set to update everyone on the dating life, the lack of Boston meetings despite both our best efforts this past weekend. (Okay, maybe not our best efforts. I'd like to think our best efforts would actually end with us meeting up.) And I will get to this, in another post. I promise. But then, life got in the way.

My maternal grandfather was just diagnosed with esophageal cancer. Apparently, there is not generally a good prognosis with this type of cancer, as it usually is not detected until it's in a late stage. He's going to the oncologist sometime this week and we should know more after that.

He's 92 years old, so most likely they won't do too much in the way of treatment. Maybe some radiation. He's actually handling this extremely well. Of course this is coming from a man who planned out his life budget so that he'd be broke he turned 100, because he saw no reason to live past that age. So he's always been okay with death.

Unfortunately, I think the rest of us will have a harder time. My father's parents both passed away when I was in high school, so it's not like we haven't had to deal with it in the past, but it's never easy. I don't want him to die.

I will say that something like this does always put things in perspective. My dating life is not a matter of life or death. Finding a man is not a matter of life or death. Cancer is.

2 comments:

chickbug said...

i'm so sorry to hear. cancer is hard to comprehend, no matter what age. sending best wishes to you and your family.

Maria said...

i'm so sorry to hear that. cancer is a very scary thing no matter the circumstances.