Friday, September 5, 2008

Britney and her mother

Britney Spears is an endless source of amazement and amusement, IMHO. It's sometimes like watching a train wreck. I'm not gonna lie, I still sometimes enjoy boogeying down to her music... she's got some funky beats. But at the same time, I'm so glad my life is not hers. The crazy, head-shaving days just shows how much of a downward spiral her life has been since her days as a mousketeer.

And then I read this, and can't help but think that maybe it all could have been prevented. I know being a parent is hard (or at least I assume it is since that's what everyone who is a parent says. not being one myself, I guess I don't really know firsthand). But I don't get how you can know these things about your daughter and let her continue down that path. Drinking at 13, sex at 14, drugs at 15? I'm sure a lot of other youths do these same things at these ages. And that's bad enough. But they aren't part of the crazy entertainment world. Imagine how much worse that would be. Trying to make sure you are talented/thin/pretty enough to last in the entertainment business would be so hard. Especially as an adolescent.

When should Lynne have stepped in? If I had a daughter in the industry as a teenager and found out about these things going on, I would hope to think that I would step in a help her first. Do you think that if Lynne had taken control back when Britney started drinking, having sex, and doing drugs, things for her would be different now?