Thursday, July 26, 2007

Dating in your 20's

I'm going to preface this post with the statement that if anyone is out there reading, this may be the blog to comment on. Mostly because I think I need some new ideas... do I have your interest?

Okay, so here's my question: When dating in you're late 20's, where do you meet good single men to date? In highs school and college it was easy... you have classes with guys and, in some cases, live right next to guys. But as I get older, the harder it is to find guys to date.

Here are my problems with the typical ways to meet guys. Not that I'm too keen on office romances (I mean if it doesn't work out you still have to work with each other), but I work at a pediatrician's office. This means that literally the only two guys who I work with are doctors who are married with kids. Plus, even if a male nurse or medical assistant worked here, one of the pediatricians is my mom, so that would just be awkward. Now I do meet other guys at work... but they tend to be fathers of patients, which means they are likely to be married. Plus, I'm not crazy about dating a guy with kids in the first place (although there are exceptions to every rule). We do sometimes have drug reps bring us lunches and stuff, but the majority of them are also married. I think only one is single, and I have only seen him around once so that's not likely to go anywhere.

I've also been trying the online thing with eharmony. Now this is how I met the ex last year, so I had hopes again when I got back on it this year. But so far, no catches. I've gone out with a couple with no sparks. I've emailed back and forth with a few others and it never comes to anything. So I think that before my subscriptions gets automatically renewed next week, I'm gonna cancel my account. I might try it again in the future, but the past three months hasn't done much for me, so why pay again?

I think it's awkward to be set up with friends of friends, or friends of friends boyfriends (whew that sounded a little crazy!), because if it doesn't work out, it might make it difficult for the friend in the middle. I don't know if that made sense... regardless, I don't have too many friends here in town anyway for them to set me up with guys in the first place. My brother has a lot of friends, but they're all married or in serious relationships. And again, that could make things awkward for my brother if I dated one of his friends and it didn't work out.

I'm trying to join more groups and things to generally just meet other people. I have joined a book club, although haven't been to a meeting yet, but I didn't join that to meet guys. I'm also trying to find ways to be more involved in my sorority as an alum, but again that would be all girls. I've thought about going back to church, but I'm not real religious and getting up at like 9 on Sunday after usually being out late drinking the night before does not appeal to me. I don't think I'd make a good impression at any church the next day if I did that.

I guess I'm just looking for other suggestions to meet guys. If anyone has any, I'd appreciate it.

6 comments:

chickbug said...

hi jenn! first of all, thanks for mentioning chickbug (www.chickbug.com) on your blog so often! and for all the love you show my blog.

this post got to me! cause, as you know, if you read my blog...i ended a 5 and 1/2 year relationship a few months ago and i'm struggling with that to do next!

my strategy for the summer was to do one activity a week that would introduce me to new people. that is easier in a large city i think...but still, do you have friends, who you don't usually hang out with, that you could hang out with more? can you join a sports league? go to a singles event? speed date? what about a college alumni group?

while this stategy hasn't actually ended in a lustful romance, it has forced me to "get back in the game" . i also just signed up for ehamrony. i'm not sold on the idea yet, but we will see where it takes me.

good luck!

Jenn said...

Thanks for the advice! I am trying to get back into the game and I think that forcing myself to maybe get intot hings I normally wouldn't have thought of would be a good way to do it. I'll let you know how it goes!

Katherine said...

Watch out for eHarmony guys...I've had some crazy beyond words dates with them...check it out: whoinventedroses.com

selizabethg said...

The eharmony thing can get a little scary, lots of strange guys out there. I'm in the same boat and asking the same questions as you my friend. My older brother suggested meeting guys at the grocery store. Litterally, run your cart into them LOL. Right now my game plan is to look good every where I go and keep my eyes open.

Unknown said...

Thank you for this post, we are a online dating website blog network, which college students read our blog, so thanks and well post this article on our blog. dating in college

TheRelationshipcompany.com said...

Thank for share, it is very important.....