Thursday, July 5, 2007

Sick in the summer

It is my firm belief that no one should have to deal with having a cold during the summer. And yet, I woke up Tuesday to just that. Sore throat, stuffy nose, head feeling like it got run over by a truck. I was miserable. I actually had a patient to see at work, luckily timed for first thing in the morning, so I had to go in for a bit at least. I ended up staying for the morning, since I didn't get done with them until about 11:15 and then went home. I was particularly annoyed with this event because I was supposed to go downtown with my friends Tuesday night to watch fireworks. That didn't happen.

I woke up yesterday feeling a little better... throat still hurt and nose was still stuffy, but the sinus pressure and headache were mostly gone. This meant that I could at least get on with my 4th of July festivities. I ended up drinking my cold away, or at least drinking until it didn't bother me as much. I spent the day with my brother and sister-in-law and some of their friends roaming around our hometown drinking at various locations - first their house, then my parent's house, then a bar, then one of my brother's friend's houses, then back to the bar, a brief pause in drinking for the fireworks, and then back to the bar one more time to finish out the night. Now was drinking all day the best thing to do for my cold? Probably not. I should have been home resting and drinking things like warm tea. But it was fun nonetheless. Plus I ran into a group of guys I graduated with and hung out with them for quite a while. One was my ex (not the aforementioned one I blog about all the time, but a guy I dated in high school), one was a guy I had a huge crush on for several years, and the others were all cute as well, so I had quite a good time. The one I had a crush on ended up taking me back to my parent's house to get my car, we exchanged numbers and decided to get together sometime, and kissed a couple times. Now, I'm not saying anything will happen with that, but it was a nice distraction. And he did send me a text when he got home making sure I got home safely. So that was nice. I hope I didn't give him my cold...

No comments: