Monday, May 19, 2008

Taking it one day at a time, updated

Here's a question... if you go into dating someone with that person saying he isn't sure if he's ready for a relationship, but he likes you and likes hanging out with you and just wants to take things slow, what do you do? On the one hand you may think, "Good. He's being honest with me, and we'll just see how it goes." On the other hand, you may think, "Okay, but how long do I wait for you to decide? I don't want to waste a bunch of time with you if there's someone else out there who might be ready for a relationship."

That was basically what Bass told me Saturday night, well okay Sunday morning, as we laid in his bed together. I stressed out about it all day yesterday. I mean, I don't want to waste a bunch of time, but I do like him and like spending time with him. And we were together, by his doing, for like half the weekend. Do I know if he's "the one"? No, I have no idea! And I shouldn't know by now... we've only been talking for a month! So I don't expect him to know either. I think it's good that he's aware of his issues and is up-front about it and what he's thinking. He doesn't want to rush into anything. That's fine with me.

So I guess what I need to decide is how long do we continue what we're doing before I say "peace out" if he still can't decide. I'm thinking if we've been talking for like three months or so, he should feel ready to at least call me his girlfriend. Am I right? I know I shouldn't put a time limit on these things, but seriously, if we can hang out a couple times a week for 3 months... I just refuse to wait around wondering if he'll ever be ready. But for now, I'm taking it one day at a time. And I'm pretty much at peace with this decision. I like him, he likes me. We enjoy spending time together. I'm not going to actively look to date other people, but if something comes up, then it comes up. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy what we've got going on.

Oh, and I passed the friend test! We actually met a few of each others friends last Friday, and he told me that his friends really liked me and he better not screw it up! My friends liked him as well, and he liked them. So that's a bonus. :)

UPDATE: So, I'm not on match anymore (which is where me and Bass met) cuz I didn't feel like paying again... mind you I cancelled my account actually before Bass and I met, so it's not like I did it because I met him or anything. Anyway, I can still search people on there though and see how recently they've been on. Well I did this with Bass today, and it said he's been "active" within 24 hours, meaning after I last saw him and we had our little discussion. I don't know why this bugs me, but it does. Maybe it's cuz I thought we were on the same page of not actively looking for anyone else, but not technically together. Clearly, the page he's on is still dating around and seeing what's out there. Which should be fine with me cuz I don't know if I want to be in a serious relationship with him or not, and he said he wasn't ready for a relationship. But it still bothers me. And I know that him being on doesn't necessarily mean anything... maybe someone sent him an email and he logged on to read it but didn't respond or anything. I totally did this to myself though. I shouldn't have looked to see if he had been on recently and then I would have been blissfully unaware. Remind me not to look again.

No comments: