Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Dating update

Here's a problem I have with dating. I apparently got spoiled with my ex and our first date. There was an instant connection, good chemistry, really comfortable right from the beginning, and I found him attractive right away. I haven't found that again. The two guys I've been out with so far this week just didn't have that connection.

Okay so the first guy. He was nice enough. We had a pretty good conversation, flowed pretty well, no awkward silences really. But as I sat there at dinner, I just didn't feel like I could ever see myself being romantically involved with him, kissing him etc. Not that he was bad looking, just couldn't see it. So I thought, okay well if he calls I'll maybe go out with him again and see if I can't stir up any thoughts that way. He emailed me the next day and said dinner was "great" (really? great? I would have gone with average, but that's just me) and that he'd love to do it again sometime and he hoped to hear from me soon. I thought, okay thats good. I'll email him back tomorrow and maybe try to set something up. Then he calls that night! Okay, whoa there buddy. You emailed, I didn't respond yet, don't call also! At least not the same day! Am I wrong? To me that just reeks of desperation or something. i figure I'll still email him back and let him know that we could go out again, but that I just got out of a relationship, so I'm not looking to jump into something serious and I'm dating around and taking things slow. See how he is with that.

Second date. Again, the guy was nice enough. The conversation wasn't as free-flowing, to the point where he even said on a couple different occasions, "Do you have any questions for me?" I'm sorry, I didn't know this was a job interview. I mean, I guess it is kind of, but don't ask that! Plus I didn't feel like he and I had that much in common. He's a morning person, I'm a night owl. He's really active, sometimes going running twice a day just cuz he's bored, I'm active, but enjoy my couch also. He didn't even get a drink with dinner, which made me feel like I shouldn't. And I had been looking forward to a margarita with my Mexican food all day! The good thing is that when we parted ways after dinner, he said "Well you have my number so if you'd like to hang out feel free to give me a call. I won't bother you or anything." So I guess balls in my court on this one. He pretty much made it easy to not call him ever again and not seem like a bitch.

That's how my week has panned out so far. My friend at work is going to try and see about setting me up with the guy she knows tonight possibly. I'm actually looking forward to that more than either of the dates this week. I didn't want to go on these dates at all, which might have been why I wasn't that into them. But at least this other guy knows someone I know. So it doens't feel as weird. But again, I'm just not sure if I'm ready to get in the game again. I know that I still want to be with my ex, so it all feels fake to me. Am I being too picky? Do I have standards of perfection that are just too damn high?

No comments: