Wednesday, April 2, 2008

WPD

Let me tell you a story of a most wonderfully perfect day... (I told you I'd be happy during this post!)

It was a few years ago... let's say maybe sometime in 2004. I was still living in Miami, finishing up my master's degree. I wake up one Wednesday morning to find that my car, a convertible, had been broken into via knife through the roof. I know, I know... you're thinking "How in the world is this going to be a wonderfully perfect day?" Well, you're right. That wasn't the wonderfully perfect day (let's abbreviate this to WPD from now on). But this event caused me to have the WPD, so in hindsight I'm not too upset about it. Plus it got me out of work for that day... yes I could still drive, but I had to deal with the insurance company and figure out what to do, etc. Maybe it was just a good excuse. I digress...

So two days later, Friday, I was scheduled to take my car in to get a new roof put on first thing in the morning. Luckily I had nothing going on this day... no classes, no work, nothing. I drop my car off at the roof place which was very conveniently located across the street from The Falls, which was a lovely outdoor type of mall. The people at the roof place have no idea how long it will take, but my car should be done sometime early to mid afternoon. I give them my cell phone number and head off to the mall where I completely indulged myself all day.

I started off having some coffee and breakfast at the Starbucks and then wandered around for a while window-shopping, as most stores were not yet open. I come across a salon-type of place, so I treat myself to a pedicure. Ahh... how relaxing. By the time this is over, stores are open and I'm free to shop to my heart's content. What fortunate timing, as I had just gotten my tax refund and had money burning a hole in my pocket. So I buy myself some new clothes as well as a new Coach purse and matching wallet. I have lunch at Johnny Rocket's and then decided to go see a movie. By the time the movie was over, the roof place had called, my car was done and I was free to go on my way back home.

This may sound like just another day to anyone else, but to me... it was a WPD. I felt like I didn't have a care in the world (despite the fact that my car had been broken into just days earlier) and spending so much time with just me was great. At lunch I allowed myself to just people watch and not be concerned that they might have found it strange that I was eating by myself. And going to a movie by myself was also great. For once I didn't feel self-conscious about what others thought. Who cared? I'd never see these people again.

It's a day I would love to repeat, except for the whole needing to get a new roof on my car. But the whole relaxed, do whatever, treat myself kind of day. And I don't know why I don't do this more often. I would love to just go to lunch by myself and then go see a movie. I guess part of me feels guilty about taking time for just myself. I was forced to with the whole roof thing... there was no way for me to get home and nothing else for me to do for at least 5 hours. Here, I feel like indulging like this would make me think about all the things I should be doing with my time and money, instead of treating myself to a WPD. Anyone else ever feel this way? Why do we think we have to always do for others when our main focus should be making sure we take care of ourselves? I think I'm going to plan another WPD soon... although sadly I don't think another new Coach purse would be in the plans, still need to save a bit more money for that!

No comments: