Monday, June 18, 2007

401k

Sorry for having taken the weeked off from blogging. (I am aware that I am apologizing to no one really since no one reads my blog yet... maybe one day?) Anyway, I promise the lack of writing was not because I had nothing to write about since I'm done complaining about being unsatisfied. Well maybe that was part of it, since I'm not really sure where to go from here. But mostly I was just busy this weekend. Saturday was a friend's 30th brithday, so a night out on the town was to be had. So of course, during the day I had to relax to gear up for the big night (after running my obligatory 2 miles first thing in the morning). Sunday was spent laying around with the previously mentioned ex-boyfriend and some of his friends and his pool. All in all it was a very nice weekend.

Today I did something that makes me feel very grown-up. I got out my 401k information from my place of employment and enrolled. I am now proudly an investor! Granted, I took the easy way out with this, so please don't think that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to finances. I enrolled in the company plan set up for those of us set to retire in or around 2045. (2045?! Good lord, that seems forever away. Am I really going to have to work for that long? Sadly, yes.) Regardless, enrolling in this plan means I didn't have to pick out which stocks and funds looked good, which was excellent. If I would have had to do this, it probably would have meant not being signed up for the 401k for much longer. I've invested the right amount of my paycheck for my company to match fully, so I should be getting free money from them! I guess what makes me most proud of this is a couple of things. First, I did it all on my own with no help from my parents or anyone, which is quite the feat when it comes to making decisions for me. I'm not one who decides ANYTHING easily. Secondly, it seems so mature of me to partake in such things as a 401k. It means I am looking towards the future and realizing that I have to make sure I can depend on myself for future finances.

This move has made me feel very satisfied for the day. Now if only I didn't have to run this evening...

No comments: